Saturday, September 8, 2018

One Tool That Will Double Your Creativity in Half the Time

I've been noticing how creativity, passion and time management are related.

A lot of things we do as entrepreneurs seems to suck the creativity out of us because they take too long or the method is not enjoyable. We have to find a better ways to do things.

With the vast amount of things that I have to do during the day, the mindset and space I need to be creative is pushed into the future even when I think I'm managing my time effectively.

That's why I get excited when I discover a tool or technique that shrinks a bloated process into a sleek one.

For example, I write and create videos to communicate and explain my ideas. When I do research to identify what people are interested in, I collect nuggets of information, images, data, graphs, spreadsheets, and many other snippets that I have to assemble and store in a useful way. If i do it right, it will enhance my ability to create a clear story that people will find useful and want to read.

After doing a number of projects, the volume of stored information is staggering and is starting to feel like a library basement. By that, I mean that everything is categorized according to subject matter because how else are you going to find it?
Unfortunately, this doesn't make me "feel creative" and the whole process of writing just takes too long....

Now maybe I'm a little slow is grasping things that are right in front of me, but I can blame it on being focused on "more important things". I'm talking about something that's been in my computer all along without me realizing the fabulous tool for what it's worth. Perhaps everyone else but me knows about it and has already been using it for a while. I wonder...

To make a long story short, I'm talking about a piece of software which has had a major impact on my time management and creative writing process. It actually lets me store and organize my material in the same way I think about it. I guess you could call it relational. I can see how information is related. I can easily picture how the information flows together to create a story.

So, after the buildup, the software that I've "discovered" is called Microsoft OneNote. I can put text, pictures, flowcharts, notations, pictures, videos and embed any type of information to create a "creative brainstorm" environment for my projects. It makes it nice because I can collect all my information in one place so I don't misplace or forget about something.

The way it's set up and the way I interact with it just feels creative to me and keeps my passion alive. For a writer or anyone doing creative things, this is a big help.

No comments:

Post a Comment